Maric Flow Control Valves are used in the mining industry for numerous applications including:
- Gland flushing water (Packing Water) flow control
- Mechanical seal flow control
- Safety Showers and eye washing equipment
- Pump Protection
- Water Treatment
- Fire Fighting
- Liquid ring vacuum pump seal/cooling water
Photo credit: Warman pump, Weir Minerals Australia
Gland Flushing Water
One of the more common application in the mining sector for Maric valves is that of gland water flow control, which is also referred to as Packing Water or Seal Water.
Here the valves ensure a constant flow of water into the gland, irrespective of:
Gland water pressure
Slurry pump discharge pressure
Condition of the gland
Extend gland life
Guaranteed fixed known flow rates to glands maximises the life of the gland.
Controlled flow to pump glands, conserves valuable packing water supplies – especially as mines often operate in arid areas.
Dilution of slurry or product
Limiting gland water flow rate also prevents the unnecessary dilution of slurry or product.
Ensure gland water availability, and pump protection
Limiting gland water flow rate also ensures gland water availability in the event of failure of any one or more centrifugal pump glands, on a common gland water supply.
What the Maric Valve does
The Maric Flow Control valve is designed to deliver a fixed, pre-set, constant (maximum) flow of water – irrespective of pressure differential across it within a given range, typically 140-1000 kPa and up to 2500 kPa for high pressure Pump applications.
This means constant flow rate, irrespective of fluctuating pressure upstream or downstream of the valve.
Benefits of Maric Flow Control valves:
- Compact – as compared with conventional diaphragm valves
- Tamper proof – as these valves provide a fixed flow rate, it prevents unauthorized adjustment
- Automatic – the rubber’s orifice diameter responds automatically to pressure fluctuations
- Maintenance free – no external actuations or wearing parts
- Self cleaning
- Life span of up to 20 years